Artificial intelligence in education: a perfect match
Over recent years, artificial intelligence has made it possible to improve processes and increase effectiveness, and education has been no exception.
Just as artificial intelligence (AI) is changing the world for the better and making people’s lives easier, it is also improving education. Analysts even expect artificial intelligence in the education sector to grow up by to 47% in some countries over the 2017-2022 period.
Before seeing why AI and education are a perfect match, let us first take a look at what artificial intelligence is, what types there are, and the main fields of application.
What is artificial intelligence?
Artificial intelligence refers to the use of machines or computer systems to complete certain tasks that would normally be done by a human. The idea is to program a computer to learn and repeat actions automatically.
AI complements human interaction rather than replacing it, as skills such as creativity, intuition, adaptability, and innovation continue to be essential for success.
Types of artificial intelligence
While artificial intelligence can be presented in a range of ways, it can generally be split into two groups: weak and strong.
- Weak artificial intelligence refers to the ability of machines to simulate the processing of information based on perception and experience but focusing on a specific area. It has the potential to automate time-consuming tasks for humans and analyze data with greater accuracy and depth.
- Strong artificial intelligence can be compared to Jarvis (Mr. Stark’s assistant in Iron Man). Although the comparison is somewhat fictitious, here it would be that which attempts to completely emulate human intelligence and our ability to reason, plan, learn, communicate, and make value judgments.
To finish the comparison, weak AI requires human intervention, while strong AI does not.
Artificial intelligence has countless applications in everyday life, so let us go over some of the most common ones.
It is often found in marketing strategies. Streaming platforms such as Netflix and Amazon Prime recommend series and movies based on our preference patterns. Banks have also adopted AI systems in order to offer a better service and protect us from fraud.
It is also applied in sectors such as agriculture, where it has been used to cut costs and achieve better harvests, and health, helping doctors to make better decisions.
So, let’s see how artificial intelligence works in education.
How can artificial intelligence be applied in education?
AI is the perfect fit for the education sector as it can be used to adapt and personalize education, create unique profiles, automate assessment and evaluation, and provide innovative, intelligent tutoring systems. Let’s see some examples.
- Duolingo is an app to learn dozens of languages, with the aim of making language learning accessible to everyone. The role of artificial intelligence in Duolingo starts with the initial tests the student undergoes in order to establish his/her current level, based on the thousands of behaviors of other students on the platform, i.e., on their correct answers in the tests and on future performance. This app can be found as part of the Living Apps on Movistar Campus.
- Microsoft Math Solver is an app that helps solve mathematical equations using artificial intelligence. Students can write the problem on the screen or even take a picture of it, allowing Microsoft Math Solver to examine it and come up with the result based on thousands of equations and solutions. This app is so complete that it even offers a step-by-step explanation to better understand the solution.
- Brainly is a kind of social network that connects millions of people interested in knowledge. The aim of this app is to bring students and teachers all around the world together in one place, helping towards education, studying and skills development. The platform has thousands of moderators, backed up by machine learning to filter out spam and low-quality content, thus helping to deliver a better-quality service for students.
- BlaBla is an innovative way to learn and teach English through an app equipped with artificial intelligence. BlaBla technology stands out for its use of voice recognition, scene recognition, a personalized recommendation system, and a unique profile according to the user’s preferences.
As can be seen, artificial intelligence in education helps both educators and students alike, generating a digital symbiosis with benefits that translate into a more personalized, entertaining, optimized experience.